Chef Tom’s Pecan Pie Recipe
December 8, 2020
A southern specialty and longtime fixture at holiday meals, pecan pie was a favorite of the Kaufmann family. Enjoy this egg-sugar-butter confection the way the family did with this traditional recipe from Fallingwater Chef Tom Shuttlesworth. Also, share Tom’s recipes and give the Fallingwater Cookbook to friends and family this holiday season.
- 1 C shortening
- 2½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 T cold water (makes 2 crusts)
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 C melted butter
- 1 C corn syrup
- 1¼ C pecans, broken
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- To prepare pastry shell: Cut 1 cup of shortening into 2½ cups of all purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of salt until fine as meal. Gradually add 3 to 4 tablespoons of cold water until all is moistened and combined together. Roll half of pastry to fit a 9" pan with fluted edges.
- To prepare filling: Mix eggs, sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, melted butter. Add corn syrup until combined. Fold in pecans. Pour combined ingredients into pastry-lined pie pan. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until filling is set.
- Remove foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
- Cool for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.