During school programs, Fallingwater inspires learning across subjects, from science, engineering, and math to language arts, visual art, design, and more. Whether your classroom is around the corner or on the other side of the world, Fallingwater’s educators can bring inspiration to your students through onsite field trips, virtual field trips and our annual design challenge curriculum.
Learn more about: Field Trips, Virtual Field Trips, Family Field Trips, Gnome House Design Challenge, Wright in our Backyard
Field trips to Fallingwater include guided architectural tours designed to connect students’ experience of a world-renowned work of architecture to the learning that happens in your classroom.
During a one-hour guided tour, students will be led by a Fallingwater educator as they explore Fallingwater and its site. Students will learn about Fallingwater’s design, Frank Lloyd Wright, organic architecture, and the Kaufmann family. Prior to submitting a field trip request form, please note:
- Groups must arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of their scheduled tour time.
- Allow a minimum of two hours on site. While the guided tour lasts approximately one hour, that does not include time spent in the visitor center or on the grounds.
- For groups of 10 students or more, tour tickets cost $15 per person. This student group discount is not available during October or on weekends.
- Tours are sent every 10 minutes and made up of no more than 12 people (adults and students combined). We require 1 adult chaperone for every 11 students. Students must be divided into groups of 11 plus one adult chaperone before arriving on site. Chaperones will be asked to reinforce museum rules during guided tours and workshops.
- The required number of adult chaperones (one for each group of 11 students) receive complimentary tickets. Additional adult tickets cost $26 each.
Request a Reservation for a Field Trip
If you would like to request a reservation for a field trip for your group, please submit a Field Trip Request Form. When considering dates, please be aware that Fallingwater is closed on Wednesdays. If you have any questions, please contact our School Programs and Outreach Manager, Amy Humbert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Field Trips for School Groups
Take advantage of Fallingwater’s Virtual Field Trips for school groups. Fallingwater’s educator team leads an interactive look at the interior of Fallingwater, combined with a workshop for your students, connecting learning about Fallingwater to lessons in fine art, science, math, history or language arts. Fallingwater’s virtual field trips are recommended for students in grades 3 through 12.
Price: $50 per one-hour workshop. Also available for FREE on a limited basis for schools in the following PA counties: Allegheny, Fayette, Greene, Somerset, Washington, and Westmoreland.
Virtual Field Trip Themes
Fallingwater: History and Design (Fine Art, Local History)
- Fallingwater is considered to be one of the best examples of Wright’s philosophy of organic architecture. Learn about principles of organic architecture, the Kaufmann family, Frank Lloyd Wright, Fallingwater and its site. Try your hand at designing in harmony with nature.
Drawing Fallingwater: Learn to Make Architectural Drawings (Fine Art, Math, Local History)
- Explore Fallingwater’s architectural drawings and try your hand at creating floor plans, elevations and more.
Family Field Trips
Whether students are studying at school or home this year, Fallingwater invites families with children in grades K-12 to enjoy the outdoors through an exploration of architecture and nature on one of our Family Field Trips. During a private exterior tour of the house and its landscape, families learn about the science, technology, art and history of Fallingwater through a series of engaging activities.
Family Field Trips include:
- Private outdoor experience of Fallingwater that examines the house’s exterior from the landscape and many of the open-air terraces. Individual family groups can include up to six people.
- Fun learning activities that engage students through observation, sketching, demonstration, and reflection. Activities meet Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Academic Standards in social studies, arts and humanities.
Reservations are required in advance. Up to six people per group. Children 6 years old and younger receive complimentary admission.
Free Family Field Trips for Local Families
Fallingwater Family Field Trips are free for local families with students in grades K-12 who are currently attending school in one of the following nearby school districts: Albert Gallatin, Brownsville, Central Greene, Connellsville, Frazier, Laurel Highlands, Mount Pleasant, Southmoreland, Turkeyfoot Valley and Uniontown.
Apply for a free Family Field Trip. Availability is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. No more than six family members, per household, are eligible for free admission through the Family Field Trips tour.
Free Family Field Trips for local families and students are made possible by the generosity of Fallingwater’s Lodging Partners in Education and the Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program.
Design Challenges: Lesson Plans for Teachers
Fallingwater’s design challenges are completed by students from all over the world. Students are invited to share their work virtually and in the future at our annual design symposium.
Gnome House Design Challenge for Grades 4-7
- Students explore the steps of the architectural design process while designing a custom house for a unique client – a gnome! Lessons connect fine art, design, science, math, language arts and history.
For information, email Amy Humbert at email@example.com.
Wright in Our Backyard
Fallingwater is pleased to offer free school programs for K-12 students located in Fallingwater’s “backyard.” If your school is located in Allegheny, Fayette, Greene, Washington or Westmoreland County, contact Amy Humbert to find out how to schedule a free Field Trip, Virtual Field Trip, Family Field Trip, or enroll in Gnome House Design Challenge for free. Call 724-329-7829 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wright in Our Backyard, free school programs for local students are made possible through the generosity of Fallingwater’s Lodging Partners in Education and the Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program.