Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
Pennsylvania’s first and one of the oldest land conservation organizations in the country, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy protects and restores exceptional places to provide Western Pennsylvania with clean waters, healthy forests, wildlife and natural areas for the benefit of present and future generations.
A private nonprofit conservation organization founded in 1932 and headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., the Conservancy has helped to establish 10 Pennsylvania state parks, conserved more than a quarter million acres of natural lands and protected or restored more than 3,000 miles of rivers and streams.
The Conservancy owns and operates Fallingwater, which symbolizes people living in harmony with nature. In addition, the Conservancy enriches our region’s cities and towns through 132 community gardens, more than 25,000 trees, and other green spaces that are planted with the help of about 12,000 volunteers. The work of the Conservancy is accomplished through the generous support of more than 10,000 members.
Sharing a national treasure with the world
The Conservancy stewards and preserves Fallingwater, the world-renowned house designed in 1935 by world-renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright for Pittsburgh department store owner Edgar J. Kaufmann and his family.
Fallingwater was entrusted to the Conservancy in 1963 by Edgar Kaufmann, jr. One year later, Fallingwater opened as a museum and welcomed visitors from around the world. The Conservancy continues its award-winning preservation efforts at Fallingwater and takes pride in the wide variety of educational programs and opportunities available to students, teachers, artists and adult learners.
In keeping with Wright’s philosophy of organic architecture and people living in harmony with nature, the Conservancy strives to carry on the legacy of Fallingwater as the Kaufmann family and Wright would have intended.
For more information about the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, visit WaterLandLife.org.